Thursday, May 27, 2010

More Packard Collapse and the Office complex

I've taken a few more trips back to the Packard since the previous entry.
The first trip involved me heading over the Old Lutheran Cemetery next door.
Some of these graves are a half century or more older than this old factory.
We're talking Civil war era people buried here.
It got me to thinking about life and how short it really is.
I mean, here I am trying to imagine what this factory was like back in it's prime. It closed over 50 years ago, and that seems like forever, but then I looked around and there are people who had already lived and died, and were buried 50 years before this factory even opened.
That seems like such a long time, but in reality 50 or 100 or 150 years is the blink of an eye. It reminded me again of why I try to live every day to the fullest. It will all be over way too soon.

I'm shooting more and more in HDR these days. I just love it. With anything, there is a learning curve and I'm definately learning, so as times goes by I will tend to "over-process " these less and less . As always, click on the image then enlarge


Watching faithfully all these years


Here are a few original photos that I mahaged to make look a bit better with some processing. Might as well include them here

Here is one of my friends again, perched on the edge of a collapsed building. We freely admit we were crazy for going up there. Subsequently most of even the most radical urbex junkies have decided to stay out of this building. But we got in and out and got the shots of a lifetime.



This was a very difficult shot to get. It was noon and the glare outside was terrible and the building was actually quite dark. But with a little ( OK, a lot ) of processing, I like the result.


From here we all got down in once piece, not before noticing the coffins, which we successfully dodged


British Graffiti "artist" Bansky had been in town some time in the previous week or so and had left a painting in this location, which some local buffoon gallery had "rescued" before it could be destroyed. In other words, they stole it. Wankers!
Here is the actual work before it was stolen. The photo on the right, represents the painting in question


Here is the area after


And this looks like somebody dropped an F Bomb. Notice the grove of trees growing out of the building! I love Mother Nature. She always wins




Heading over this time we explored some tunnels underneath the old office complex. It was pitch black. It looked prone to flooding so we didn't stay for too long. Plus it was damned creepy
This is my kind of outreach!

We made it up and into the office complex. Outside I noticed a vintage 4 door!


The colors in this old complex are amazing

We were exploring this intense large room and we noticed this weird fucker watching us.

You do occasionally run into some crazy shit in old buildings. There are cults of women who like to go here and photograph themselves in the nude on broken glass etc. Not sure what this dude/lady was into. Didn't care to find out

Headed upstairs to the penthouse. I was pissed because I'd dropped my fish-eye lens earlier and the autofocus wasn't working so I didn't take that many shots, since I really like the wide angle shots and I was pissed off. I'll be back when it's repaired. Still, there are Some incredible views from up here.



I can see you can get sloppy in the penthouse. This looks like a freaky place to party


The windows in these factories are some of my favorite features. If you take a moment where ever you go and look for the hidden treasure, and maybe think outside the box a little and see things from another perspecive, you will get a reward.

2 comments:

  1. Nice shots. I am too chicken to do urbex in such buildings. Then again there isn't much in my area on that scale to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are a lot of my Canadian friends doing some pretty incredible urbex stuff in Toronto. brilliant photographers and daring explorers too!

    ReplyDelete